Česky  |  English
Hotel VSACAN Vsetín Hotel VSACAN Vsetín - reception desk Hotel VSACAN Vsetín - cafe Hotel VSACAN Vsetín - apartment

The region of Vsetín

The region has been settled by sheep herdsmen, the Wallachians, in 13th and 14th centuries. In memory of them, the region is now named. By association of culture of the mountain herdsmen and that of agriculturists settled in valleys, a very typical culture has originated, preserved until today in an impressive popular architecture and deep folklore tradition.

The Wallachia climatic conditions with an average year temperature of 9°C provide sunny and warm summers, long autumns and, due to a plentiful precipitation, the winters rich with snow, especially in upper mountain ranges.

Already in 1973, the Beskydy mountains have been declared as Protected Landscape Area that is, with its extent of 1166 km2, the largest in the Czech Republic.

From the history of Vsetín

The first historical references of Vsetín, included in writings from the years 1297 - 1308, are related to the own beginning of this area settlement. Whilst still in 1297 Vsetín is mentioned only as a land at Bečva river, the writing from 1308 describes this area already very clearly. In the document, a small town called Setteinz is announced, with a church and mill, as well as Freundsberg castle; also further colonization in the valley around Rokytnice creek is spoken.

Sights:

Symbol town Vsetín
  • Chateau
  • Roman Catholic Church of Virgin Mary Ascension
  • Maštaliska – so called Original Mansion from 1710
  • Baroque stone sculpture of Virgin Mary Unblemished Conception on the Upper Square
  • Evangelic church of the Lower Charge
  • Evangelic church of the Upper Charge
  • Stone crucifix from 1775 on the Lower Square

Chateau Vsetín

Chateau VsetínThe chateau is a dominating feature and the oldest historical building in Vsetín. This is a renaissance chateau with the inner court bordered with arcades, built in the first decennium of 17th century (the first mention of the chateau comes from 1610) by its then domination owners, Lukrécie Nekšová of Landek and her second husband, Albrecht of Valdštejn. It stands on the bottom of medieval fortress from the first half of 15th century, on the elevation of Bečva river right bank. In 1708, the chateau burnt out and only naked walls remained. The chateau later owners – Hungarian nobility from the kin of Illésházy rebuilt and modified the chateau for several times in course of the 18th century. The chateau got the recent classicist form in 1833-34, when owned by the last nobility proprietor, Josef of Wachtler. During that period, also adjacent chateau park was established with uncommon trees. In 1915, the chateau fire destroyed whole its roof and tower. In 1924, the chateau owners from those years – the Thonet family – let the chateau correct into its original form before the fire. Since 1938, as the chateau last private owners, Marie Baťová with her son Tomáš should be spoken. In February 1949, the chateau was taken under national administration. In fifties, due to an inconsiderate locating of various state institutions into the chateau building, the chateau interiors were seriously damaged. That is why in 1963-74, an expensive general repair had to take place. The chateau has been opened for a public again on 9th of May, 1975 and today it is one of important cultural and social centers of the town as well as of the whole region of Vsetín.

Chateau Vsetín – the exhibitions:

  • The exhibition - „In the name of Wallachians“
  • The exhibition - „The region of Vsetín in a folk production, costumes and habits“
  • The exhibition - „Arts and handicraft“The exhibition - „The region of Vsetín in a folk production, costumes and habits“

The Vsetín museum has been established as "Vsacké okresní museum na Vsetíně" on 14th of February, 1924. In its beginning, public functionaries of that time headed by a medicine doctor, MUDr. František Sova, have been present. The newly established museum collections were based on historical and ethnical compilations of the married couple, Bibiana and František Sova; the collections were equalized in 1925. Over time, the museum exhibitions were situated in various buildings, but in 1964, the museum became seated in the Chateau.

Vsetín observatory

The observatory is located on the town Vsetín northern border, only several hundred meters from the chateau.

Beskydy mountains

As Beskydy most memorable mountain, Radhošť is considered with its 1129 meters of altitude. The mountain is associated with cultic traditions of ancient Slavonians, adoring here pagan gods.  The area of Radhošť, together with the saddle Pustevny (1018 meters of altitude), is sought-after for its unique natural beauty and recreation possibilities in both summer and winter seasons. It is covered wit a dense network of well-marked tourist trails for both summer trips and winter trips using country ski.  In winter, several ski lifts and ski slopes are available here.

As for the elevation above the sea level, Lysá hora (1324 meters of altitude) is dominating; as for the landscape beauty, the hill Soláň (861 meters of altitude) excels. The ridges provide a possibility of unique vistas of the hills and valleys, mountains and ráztoka valleys (very deep, sharp and shaded valleys, noted by interpreter), juniper slopes, birch groves and remote settlement lost in forests.  In a fair weather, you can see as far as Slovakian mountains Malá Fatra.


VSACAN MANAGEMENT s.r.o., Žerotínova 1114, 755 01 Vsetín, Czech Republic | Up | Back | Home page